Sunday, June 20, 2010

AIC: Architectural Fragments [Original Chicago Stock Exchange Bldg. - by Adler and Sullivan]


AIC: Fragments of Chicago's past..

Elevator Bank with T-plates
By Adler and Louis Sullivan
First Floor of Chicago Stock Exchange [1894]
Demolished: 1972
30 N LaSalle Street, Chicago
Wrought iron, cast iron, copper-plated bronze and copper plated cast iron..

The Chicago Stock Exchange was the largest of Adler and Sullivan's tall office buildings in terms of floor-space. Sullivan lavished it with nature-inspired foliate and geometric motifs. The elevator grille has been reassembles from the first floor of the Stock Exchange. The repeated circle motifs and oval shapes that Sullivan called "ssed germs" revealed nature as the source of the design. The T-plates which ornament the elevator enclosure, feature a scheme of interlocking and curved lines. The intricacy of the pattern is typical of the decoration foud throughout the building. The copper plated kick plate was originally installed on the lower part of door on the first floor of the Stock Exchange, and displays a similar design scheme of interlocking geometric and foliate ornament.

Details - Elevator Bank with T-plates..

Details - Elevator Bank with T-plates..

Details - Elevator Bank with T-plates..

Details - Elevator Bank with T-plates..

Details - Elevator Bank with T-plates..

Details - Elevator Bank with T-plates..

Details - Elevator Bank with T-plates..

No comments:

Post a Comment